Feb 16, 2010

Welcome Year of the Tiger!!

Gong Xi Fa Cai to everyone!!
This year Jon gets to know the meaning of Gong Xi Fa Cai a bit more. At least he knows it’s a time of celebration and honouring the elders by visiting his grand-uncle, grand-aunties, aunties and uncles.
For me personally, it’s a time of:
-family reunions – my grandma has about a dozen kids.. imagine all her kids and her grand-children in the house at the same time. Not a second of silence!
-remembering my late father and the elders (whom are still living)
-paying respect to the loved ones whom has passed on
-knowing and practicing the Chinese culture – we will pray and wait for the God of Wealth at the stroke of midnight on new year’s eve. I don’t think it is very true but its fun nevertheless
-forgiving
-colours – no black coloured clothes was a all-year rule in my late father’s household
-lights – have you heard the firecrackers?
-Feast – my grandma and aunt will cook up a feast… all my favourite food
-Getting rich – getting angpows for the kids. I have to give out angpows now 
-Catching up and hanging out with old friends.. everyone has to come back during this festive season

mmm… and much more which I hope that Jon would be able to experience. This year, it is also a time of reflection for me when I called my grandma… I’m not home to celebrate the new year with her this year. I was kinda worried about her but hearing her enthusiastic voice has assured me that she is still very positive about life. Her old age and osteoarthritis have caused her to be not so mobile but she still try to clean and cook. Over the phone, she was telling me “Come back tomorrow! Your aunts will be here for the 2nd day gathering. Another aunt from overseas will be arriving too. Come come”. I found it so hard to tell her that it is quite impossible to go back at the very last minute especially when I did not make any plans to. Talking to her makes me remember my dad (my dad was her favourite son-in-law) and her yummy nyonya food. She makes delicious perut ikan, curry chicken (that will make your cholesterol level shoot up..hahaha), salted vegetable soup and lots more.

Reflection is a good thing… its like a compass telling you where you are and whether you are going the right direction. Reflection is also telling who you are - history, culture, background.

My wish for next year: to really prepare for the new year, to allow Jon experience the culture as much as he can and to celebrate with my family.